Recipe: Chanterelle Mushroom Risotto
A perfect pairing for our 2017 Anna's Red Signature, this dish will have you wanting a second plate and chasing down the bottle for a second glass.
- 6 cups chicken or other light stock
- 4 tablespoons butter, divided
- 2 cloves minced garlic
- 2 cups risotto rice arborio
- 3/4 -pound chanterelle mushrooms, diced; reserve some small whole chanterelles for garnish
- 1 minced shallot
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 cup sweet corn kernels
- 1/2 cup dry white wine
- 1/4 cup grated parmesan cheese
- Parsley sprigs
- Bay leaf
- Bring the stock to a gentle simmer in a pot. Heat 2 tablespoons of the butter in another pot and cook the shallots over medium heat until they soften; about 4 minutes. Salt as they cook.
- Add the garlic and diced chanterelles and turn the heat to medium-high. Stirring often, cook for 5 minutes, reserve the whole chanterelles to garnish at the end. Stir in the rice and cook another 2 minutes or so. Cook until the rice shows slight translucency. Pour in the white wine and add thyme. The pot will sputter. Stir constantly until the rice has absorbed the wine.
- Once the wine has been absorbed, add the bay leaf and start adding the hot stock, a ladle or two at a time. Stir the rice often at this point, about every other minute or so. Keep it bubbling and boiling at a steady. Keep adding stock and stirring often until the rice is cooked, but still a little al dente at the center, about 20 minutes.
- When the rice is nearly done, remove the bay leaf, and then stir in the corn and grated cheese and add the final 2 tablespoons of butter. Add stock to achieve your preferred texture. If you’re out of stock, add water. Add salt to taste and serve.
TIP - Sliced grilled ribeye is an excellent addition for those looking to add some protein.