2020 Spring Custom Club Tasting Notes
2018 HMR Chardonnay, HMR Vineyard
- The 2018 Chardonnay highlights the finesse of our HMR vineyard. The aromatics are well rounded and abundant with hints of Meyer lemon tart, roasted marshmallow, and peach blossom. Once sipped you can expect subtle, yet significant nuances of candied lemon zest, nutmeg, and orchard stone fruit all balanced by a naturally occurring acidity that will allow for lengthy aging. Drink now through 2023.
- Aroma: Meyer lemon tart, sea spray, roasted marshmallow, Asian pear, Chamomile tea
- Flavors: Candied lemon peel, nutmeg, orchard stone fruit
- Food Pairings: Seared Scallops on a bed of sweet corn, tomato & bacon succotash
2018 HMR Pinot Noir, HMR Vineyard
- This is a succulent wine that emanates aromas of rose hips, cherry, and boysenberry jam. The flavor continues on the palate consisting of smokey mushrooms, dark chocolate, and blackberry. Drinking beautifully now to 2028.
- Aroma: Heart of rose, bright cherry, boysenberry jam, bourbon barrels
- Flavors: Ripe blackberry, dark chocolate, smoked shitake mushroom
- Food Pairings: Stir-fried broccoli, beef, and almond shavings
2017 Grenache, Anna's Estate Vineyard
- Grenache is the “rustic cousin” of Pinot Noir, meaning it shares characteristics but is not related. This wine has a lighter body than Syrah or Mourvèdre and has a distinct ruby and Fuschia color. The nose boasts licorice and blackberry jam, emphasized by spicey notes of black pepper and paprika. The palate does not lack acidity but is bright with dried cherry, raspberry, licorice, and hints of grilled meats. Drink now through 2027.
- Aroma: Cranberry, Blackberry jam, full-grain leather, black pepper
- Flavors: Dried cherry, licorice, paprika, grilled lamb
- Food Pairings: Braised lamb shank with rosemary, chicken tikka masala, miso-glazed grilled eggplant stacks with tomato and feta
2016 Anna's Red, Anna's Estate Vineyard
- Mourvèdre 38%, Grenache 31%, Cinsaut 16%, Syrah 10%, Counoise 5%
- Showing an immediacy of lusciousness, a swirled glass exhibits a huckleberry pie and sweet cedar, lavender and cinnamon stick, transitioning to flavors of violet tinctured cherry/red-plum compote complexed by savory herb, baking spices and a hint of meat carving juices. Enjoy now through 2023.
- Aroma: Red plum tart, liqueur de cassis, sweet cedar, lavender, nutmeg
- Flavors: Violet tinctured cherry-red plum compote, baking spices, thyme-infused meat juices.
- Food Pairings: Rosemary braised lamb shanks, chicken with 40 cloves of garlic, hearty winter root vegetable stew
2017 Mourvèdre Signature, Anna's Estate Vineyard
- Our Mourvèdre boasts an abundance of personality. Blackberry preserves and cocoa nibs coincide in the nose with violet and Finocchiona salami. These aromas lead into lush vanilla, blackberry and ripe strawberries that mingle on the palate with cinnamon, nutmeg, and macadamia nut coffee. The flavors lead to a long and lingering finish. Drink now or save for a special occasion, through 2030.
- Aroma: Blackberry preserves, cocoa nibs, Finocchiona salami, violet
- Flavors: Ripe strawberry, vanilla, Macadamia nut coffee, cinnamon
- Food Pairings: Grilled Portobello mushroom marinated in rosemary, thyme, garlic, balsamic; Slow braised beef short rib and roasted cauliflower
2017 Cabernet Sauvignon, Adelaida District
- Suave and immediately engaging, the wine’s ruby gemstone color draws you close to
aromas of soft red berries (blackberries and black cherries) with complementary notes of allspice, vanilla bean and sweet mocha. Rounded textures characterize the mouthfeel with moderate tannins and the persistence of ripe berry flavors extend through the long finish with impressions of mocha and vanilla bean. Enjoy now through 2025.
- Aroma: Freshly crushed blackberries and black cherries, vanilla-mocha, sweet pipe tobacco
- Flavors: Ripe black cherries, blackberry liqueur, mocha, vanilla bean
- Food Pairings: Chipotle burgers with avocado salsa; balsamic glazed flank steak rolls with Ratatouille vegetable filling; Venison stew with sautéed porcini mushrooms
Members can add wine to their allocation with no additional shipping charge, or *HAVE ALL SHIPPING CHARGES WAIVED when they add 3 or more wines to their allocation (total shipment of 9 bottles or more).
*UPS Ground only
2018 Viognier, Anna's Estate Vineyard
- A leaner representation of the varietal, the wine retains acidity due to the high limestone content of the soil, which brings balance to glass. Aromas of white peaches, honeysuckle, and lime zest stimulate the senses while, ripe nectarines, key lime pie, and sweet oak are abundant on the palate. Enjoy now or hold until 2024.
- Aroma: White peaches, honeysuckle, lime zest
- Flavors: Citrus zest, Key lime pie, ripe nectarine, sweet oak
- Food Pairings: Spicy yellow curry chicken with pad see ew noodles; Chinese broccoli, carrots, and potatoes
2012 Pinot Noir, La Encantada Vineyard
- This wine shows classic cool climate fruit, tart red berries, bright and scintillating acidity, ending with notes of an Asian spice blend. A good candidate for the cellar, drink now through 2020.
- Aroma: Red cherries, grenadine, rosehips, raspberry tea, star anise
- Flavors: Raspberry puree, unsweetened cranberries, orange peel, ginger beetroot
- Food Pairings: Ratatouille with fennel sausage; seared tuna & bacon braised cabbage & crimini mushrooms; chicken skewers w/ tarragon-pistachio pesto
2016 Syrah, Anna's Estate Vineyard
- Deep and brooding, the finished wine is jet black with an opaqueness hinting at its dense core of black fruits, crushed blackberries and plum sauce dusted with cracked pepper, chocolate shavings and developing hints of meat glaze. It is enjoyable now with primary fruit flavors, but will also reward patience. Enjoy now through 2026.
- Aroma: Essence of blackberries, blood pudding, sweet pipe tobacco, chocolate shavings
- Flavors: Blackberry liqueur, plum sauce, glace-de-viande, allspice, cracked black pepper
- Food Pairings: Slow stewed chicken; boiled potatoes dipped in melting Alpine raclette cheese
2016 Estate Red Blend, Bobcat Vineyard
- Touriga Nacional 67%, Tinta Cão 25%, Souzão 8%
- This bright and deeply violet tinged wine smells of Big Sur chaparral, pomegranate, and calla lily. An exuberant palate follows to include lavender, eucalyptus, and black cherry. A beautiful representation of these Portuguese varietals, the Estate Red will age for years to come but can be enjoyed immediately. Drink now through 2028.
- Aroma: Grapefruit zest, pomegranate, calla lily
- Flavors: Black cherry, rose petal, sagebrush, river stone
- Food Pairings: Classic Cuban sandwich with a side of salted plantain chips; grilled filet of beef with blue cheese mashed potatoes
2015 Cabernet Sauvignon / Syrah Signature, Two Vineyard Blend
- Cabernet Sauvignon 59%, Syrah 41%
- These two estate vineyards come together to show the precision and high-toned fruit aromatics that are possible in the hills of the Adelaida District. This wine reminds us of an 800-day old mole, cherry and an opulent mixture of crème de cassis, sweet oak, and vanilla. Drink through 2025.
- Aroma: Ripe blackberries, chocolate-coffee infusion, cherry liqueur, vanilla spiced cedar
- Flavors: Bing cherries, Black currants, chocolate mole, sweet oak, mincemeat pie
- Food Pairings: Filet mignon skewers with balsamic; crispy Chinese duck breast with sweet bean sauce
2015 TWENTY THREE TWENTY, Adelaida Vineyards
(Wine Club Exclusive)
- Syrah 32%, Petite Sirah 22%, Mourvèdre 20%, Cabernet Sauvignon 20%
- Twenty Three Twenty expresses bold aromatics of ripe dark plums and 70% dark chocolate with secondary notes of paprika and tamari. The aromas yield to a smooth palate of plum and espresso. These flavors will evolve and develop for years. Drink through 2030.
- Aroma: Ripe dark plums, roasted red pepper skins, dark chocolate, paprika
- Flavors: Plum pudding, sweet espresso, blackening spices
- Food Pairings: Maple-balsamic glazed roast pork tenderloin with grilled apples and onions;
Slow roasted chicken thighs with adobo sauce